Monday, January 19, 2009

More bit work

So every night I've been doing the bitting up work with D. She's learning that while it's not that bad, she really would prefer to not have anything other than grass in her mouth, so she's gotten a little evasive with the bitting up.
However, this Sunday, she was great!
I round penned her for a few minutes to re-establish that respect/Alpha role and calmly and quietly walked to her. I held her nose from the side, and put the bit in her mouth. She only turned her head slightly once. Once she was bitted up, I worked on her walk/halt/turn around voice commands for a few minutes. She is doing great. I can almost stand still and not move in front of her for the “Turn Around” command, and she loves the Walk command... so much less work than her trotting around. After about 15 minutes of this, I left her alone to spend quality time with the bit.
About 30 minutes later, I returned to the round pen with the saddle and pad. She wasn’t too fond of the saddle pad, and ran away from it, so I made her work at the trot for a minute until she decided it was easier to stand there and let me put the pad on (and it didn’t even eat her!!! LOL). Then I held the saddle for about 20 minutes while she sniffed it. I did this until I could walk around her from both sides and she wouldn’t move. Each time she moved away, she was sent to work for two or three circles. Finally, she stood perfectly still and let me put the saddle on and adjust the cinch and tighten it. She didn’t want to move at first, but soon she realized she could, and we worked again at the walk for about 5 minutes, and then I left her alone in the round pen all tacked up to get used to it on her back.... She is so adorable all tacked up like big Sister Sugs.
I went back out to the round pen after an hour or so armed with a pocket full of treats. The first thing I did was give her a treat. She never once tried to scratch the bridle of saddle off, no rolling or anything. I took the bridle off, she opened her mouth right up and let the bit slide out, I gave her another treat. I loosened the girth on the saddle and gave her another treat. I took the saddle off purposely trailing the off stirrup and girth across her back. That's just how we take our saddles off, since the stirrup usually falls down anyway, so she may as well get used to that now. No flinching, moving, or anything, so yes, she got another treat.
I took her in the wash rack, washed her hoofs off, tied her in the cross ties, cleaned her feet with out any problems, and yes, another treat. I put her in her stall, put the blanket on her and tucked her in for the night.. she was a very good girl. I am very proud of my little Diamond baby.

1 comment: