Friday, January 9, 2009

First Ride???

Last night, after the chores at the barn were done, and all the horses had been tucked in and fed, we took our little Diamond and her bestest buddy Sugs out to the arena to frolic and play without their blankets on.
They had a blast and ran around chasing each other bucking, rearing, and jumping straight up in the air for about 15 minutes. After it settled down a little, and they decided they wanted to be with hubby and myself, we took the opportunity for some training.
Hubby was leaning over her (picture a guy leaning on his shiny car... that's what it looked like) just putting some weight on her so she can get the feel of it. I grabbed the step stool again, let her sniff it out until she was no longer curious about it and put it next to her as I would if I were going to mount (may as well get her used to this stuff now right...) she moved away from it, so I picked it back up and just held it in my hand while I rubbed her all over. After a few more minutes, I put it back on the ground. This time she stood still and let me continue to rub her without moving from it. I went to both sides, and she stood perfectly still. I stood on the stool and continued to rub her, she was completely unconcerned with me being "taller" all of a sudden. I got down and went to the other side and continued to rub her all over.
I had hubby get on the stool so she could "see" both of us up there. Again, calm as a cucumber. I had him swing his leg over (he's a little taller than I am, so it was easier for him to do that) and actually sit on her. She could have cared less!! What a little trooper she is! I had her take a few steps, we walked a circle, she looked at his feet dangling, took a picture on the phone, sent it to my friend who found us this mare, and got off before she decided it wasn't all that cool any more and threw a fit.
Hubby is on cloud nine, he is so happy with his little baby, this is truly a match made in heaven for him. We still are going to saddle her up this weekend, and we just might get another ride in there. We shall see....

No comments:

Post a Comment