Friday, May 29, 2009

So tired....

Yesterday we had a very beautiful warm day in the Pacific Northwest. I took Diamond to the Arena and played with her and the big yellow ball for a while, letting her sniff it and kick it around. She’s still not 100% sure about it, but her curiosity is winning out a bit.
After a while, we had some boarders who wanted to ride, so we left the cool shade of the arena, and headed outside to the full sun round pen.

About a month ago, Trainer X and I attended a clinic about starting horses, we wanted to go and see if there were any new ideas we could learn, and ways to work with horses. The first thing the clinician told us was “Tired is your friend” to get the horse tired, and they will be less likely to fight the lesson... so I wanted to try that theory out with clipping Diamond.

I grabbed the cordless clippers, oiled them up nice and slick, and went back to the round pen.

She ran, she galloped, she cantered, she trotted, and she jogged whatever she wanted to do, the only rest allowed was if she would allow me to put the clippers while turned off, on her nose. As soon as she moved her head away, she had to move back to the rail and go around at any gait she desired, so long as it wasn’t a walk. She stopped many times, and came up to me and allowed me to touch her nose briefly, and a couple of times, she’d slow down and look at me, I’d hold the clippers up, and she’d give a big sigh and keep on moving, she didn’t want to be touched with them.... Finally, after about an hour of this game, she’s sweating and breathing hard so I grab her halter and lead rope and snubbed her to a post on the round pen. She pulled back and fought for about 10 seconds, and then just gave up and stood there while I clipped her nose, chin, and bridle path.

I hope that next time, she’ll be remember it wasn’t so bad, be more cooperative, and not have to tire herself out so much.


On a side note, it’s 12 days till we leave for Sacramento to watch Trainer X and Acacia compete in the Extreme Mustang Makeover Contest, and I have always wanted to ride a “wild mustang” so I asked TX to wait to work her until I got there and I could ride after the lesson...
As I mounted, a flock of birds landed on the roof of the arena and scared Acacia, and she scooted forward enough to knock me off balance (with one foot in the stirrup, the other half way over her back) but I recovered and didn’t fall off. Once we both were breathing steady, I asked her to move forward. We walked all over that arena, serpentines, straight lines, circles, and she was beyond AWESOME! She is so relaxed and comfortable to do her job; it was an amazing experience to watch the transformation from a wild scared horse who had never been touched before, to a comfortable, confident, willing saddle horse. GREAT JOB TX!!

1 comment:

  1. Acacia was so relaxed with you!!!! And little D learned her lesson I'd say...

    ReplyDelete