Tuesday, April 28, 2009

STAND

This past weekend, we were playing with the girls in the pasture aisle way, and they were eating grass when I decided I wanted to see if Diamond would stand for mounting. Turns out she doesn’t... So, off to the round pen we went.
I had the halter and lead rope on, and tried again to jump up and mount, and she trotted off, so I pulled her back around to me and tried again. Again, she trotted off, so I unhooked the lead rope and sent her around the round pen. She took off at a canter and didn’t want to slow down which was fine. She could burn that extra energy because it would just make the lesson that much easier.
When she finally slowed down I asked for the Whoa, and she looked at me and kept trotting... NOT OK! So back to the canter she went.
We did lots of changing direction to reinforce to her that I control her movements and finally her speed.
After about 15 minutes of this, she was all too happy to stop and stand my mom. I hopped up again, and she took a step. Down I came and back around she went.
Finally, she figured out that if she just stood still, and let me hop on, I would get back off and she could be done and go back to muching that fresh green grass.

1 comment: